57.9 F
Los Gatos

Translate

July 27, 2024

What a shoebox full of old papers taught me about my grandparents

composite of old photographs and documents
When I was a child in the 70s, Los Gatos was filled with Italians. I remember seeing the older women walking in town, dragging behind them their wire utility carts filled with groceries down Santa Cruz Avenue. My grandparents, Adam and Albina Contardo, were...

‘Do you garden? If so, what are you growing?’

composite photo
This time of year, Los Gatans are out in their gardens, enjoying the spring weather and growing tomatoes of many exotic varieties. Once you get used to a tomato you’ve raised, it is so disappointing to bite into one from a store and find it...

Celebrating animals on National Pet Month

Pete the duck.
Did you know May is National Pet Month? To celebrate this month dedicated to our extra family members, you could get your pet a pet—and a rescued one is best. You could post more photos and videos of them online, or buy them presents. I...

The stone house at 15 University Ave tells its tale

Have you ever wondered about the little stone house at 15 University Avenue? In the middle of downtown, it seems oddly out of place. In fact, it’s the only residence within the boundaries of the Los Gatos Historic Commercial District. The house is a 1906...

Students featured in ‘Be-You-tiful’ contest exhibit (incl. poem by Saratoga student)

painting
On May 18, the Triton Museum in Santa Clara opened its new digital art gallery with poetry, video, essays and visual art from the Eating Disorder Resource Center’s “Be-You-tiful” contest.  Students were invited to submit pieces exploring how social media and the world around them...

Salvation Army Women’s Auxiliary holds 5th Annual A.R.T. Garden Luncheon

garden party
On May 17, despite an early morning chill, the day blossomed into ideal outdoor luncheon weather. But the Salvation Army Silicon Valley Women's Auxiliary 5th Annual Work of A.R.T. Garden Luncheon and Silent Auction was not your ordinary get-together. It was a gathering with a serious...

West Valley College fashion show presents collections from talented emerging designers

models walks on the runway in a cargo skirt and quilted top
A steady beat pumps out over a glossy white runway. A curtain shields models wearing items from up-and-coming designers, in a show creative directed by early Alexander McQueen collaborator Simon Ungless. Was this New York Fashion Week? Paris? Or Milan? In fact, this was the...

New LGHS assistant principal; Adobe teams-up with veg group; Abrahamic Alliance plans walk; students make their mark (local scene)

pre-walk
LGHS Names Schubert Assistant Principal The Los Gatos-Saratoga Union High School District has announced Lindsay Schubert will be the new assistant principal of Los Gatos High School. She brings 13 years of experience teaching at LGHS, as well as administrative experience in the Campbell Union...

Downtown nightclub Charley’s LG sold

NAPA on the decks
On a Thursday night, DJ MARSHiANN bounced around Charley LG’s plush second-story dancefloor, checking on attendees, as NAPA spun energetic electronic music. It wasn’t long before Brendan Sherry, one of the members of Where You At?, hopped behind the decks to deliver a slew...

Villa Montalvo blooms during weekend art gathering

This past Saturday evening, Villa Montalvo came alive with art, in spite of the unexpected rain. Over the past 20 years, the Lucas Art Program has hosted over 1,300 resident artists at Montalvo. Eleven studios were open for tour and exploration. This evening started with appetizers, then...

SOCIAL MEDIA

549FansLike
1,084FollowersFollow
486FollowersFollow